Earn Money on MindSumo: 5 Tips to Win
Solving challenges on MindSumo is fun. Winning challenges on MindSumo is really fun! We want to make sure all of our student users have a great chance to win whether it’s the first time they’ve solved or the 100th. Follow these 5 tips to win to get better ratings and win points (cash) for your work!
1. Include Media
- The core to a successful MindSumo submission is a unique and useful idea, but you also need to effectively communicate that idea.
- Including an image, chart, diagram, mockup, or other visual can help challenge judges better understand your idea.
- Including a video with your submission is great too (put a YouTube or Dropbox link at the top of the submission field). It can be a demonstration or just you on your webcam discussing your solution. Keep it short!
2. Organize Your Submission
- Giant walls of texts are difficult and annoying to read. Separating your thoughts out into several paragraphs and easy-to-read bullet points is a great way to go. Separating those bullet points to match the numbered deliverable items (1,2,3,4) is even better!
- Bolding key parts of your entry and italicizing persuasive points helps readers understand your tone.
- This isn’t a college essay with a page count, communicate your ideas quickly and effectively, not with as many words as possible.
- Putting all your info into a .PDF with images or a powerpoint, prezi, slideshare, or other presentation is what our most consistent winners do! (Be sure you submit text as well)
3. Cite Some Sources
- Your own unique ideas that are based on speculation can be helpful to companies for sure, but backing them up with real statistics lets companies know you really did your research, and that your idea is based in current facts and trends.
4. Follow the Instructions
- Almost every challenge has a set of numbered deliverables. Typically these are the exact items the host wants to make sure you address. Make sure you list your response to each one in your submission
- Reading the introduction is going to get you into the headspace of where the challenge is coming from and better frame your solution.
- Many challenges also have “things to consider” that will help you refine your idea once you come up with it.
5. Say Something Original and Valuable
- The goal of most MindSumo challenges is to source new ideas! If you’re proposing a new scent for a shampoo, they’ve probably already considered apple. Maybe an apple-cranberry-kombucha shampoo with a corgi logo might catch that challenge host’s attention!
- Another example: Companies know how to use social media. If you tell them to “promote idea X on Facebook”, you aren’t providing any valuable information for them. If you’re going to suggest social media promotion, make sure you include novel posts, suggest target markets, and make up new hashtags with explanations of why they’ll catch on!
It can be fun to quickly put together an idea to try and win a prize, but putting an extra 10 minutes of effort in to organize your thoughts, snag an image, and cite a source will make you much more likely to win $$$. Don’t forget to check out our latest challenges that are updated weekly!
Please comment below with other tips to win we forgot that helped you get a high rating from the host company!